It always starts out this way…..a quiet Saturday afternoon.
The shift tour has been fairly quiet or you just happened to stop into the fire station for a cup of coffee and some kitchen table talk in the day room.
The bells/tones come in for a report of smoke coming from a building located in your outer first-due area. The address is for a multi-use occupancy that houses a number of storage, distribution and office businesses.
- The structure is two stories and is approximately 45 feet wide x 450 feet in length.
- It was originally constructed in 1924 with significant modifications, additions, renovations, alterations and add-ons.
- It stated out as Type III Ordinary Construction but has some Type V Wood Frame and Type II, Non-Combustible features added over the years. It’s generally in good shape, but does show its age and wear.
- There is a mixed staff of warehouse, office and maintenance personnel working on premises this morning. (assumption ~ 12 employees)
- The call originates from a passerby and is quickly followed up by a report from a loading dock employee reporting smoke present at the far end of a product storage area
- Weather conditions are unremarkable, slight breeze, moderate temperatures, clear skies…
- Your resources ( personnel and apparatus) are what you typically would have in your jurisdiction.
- The building does not have a fixed suppression system
- The area does have hydrants at both ends of the street coming in on the Alpha side.
You have a seven minute response time.
Let’s take these operations thru the first ten minutes of operations;
- Take a role; First-Engine Company OR First-Due Chief Officer…..
- What are your Risk Assessment and Size-Up Considerations?
- What do you Know?
- What are you assuming, What do you need to know?
- What is the Building and Occupancy Profile suggesting to you?
- Incident Action Plan thoughts?
- What do you need now, (that’s hopefully enroute), that needs to be requested or that you’re hoping is available?
- Where can this incident end up going?
- What’s the Safety Profile?
- What is the projected fire flow needs for this incident?
- What’s projected for the first ten minutes..?
Aerial Over View of the Building
Overview of the Occupancy Structure Alpha View
Alpha Side Smoke Showing Upon Arrival